You can close your eyes and let these nourishing creams work on your skin. When you get up, you’ll see the difference.
I didn’t understand why you needed a night cream. “Surely it’s too much of a manyness,” I thought. My night and day routines were the same. I just added more. A subtle slick mascara turned into lashings of the stuff. A hint of blush was added from the cheek to one side of the eyes, and a tiny bit of colour on the lips became impenetrable. My night-time routine has changed. The reason? Your skin reacts differently at night so skincare products that work well for you are essential. Night creams, serums, and moisturisers make perfect sense.
Your cortisol levels, also known as stress hormones, drop when you sleep. This causes your skin to go into repair mode. The skin then starts to make enzymes to repair damaged cells and increase moisture. This process can be facilitated by using a good cream. Be careful when choosing. Not all products are worth the price of their jars. You need to use well-formulated and intensely moisturizing products. However, unless your skin is extremely dry, they don’t have to all be heavy. A decent night routine should include actives such as retinols or acids. You’ll see the difference while you sleep, as they help to renew cells and plump the skin. Here are my top 10 night creams:
1. Medik8 Advanced Night Restore (£55).
2. Sunday Riley Luna Night Oil (£45).
3. StriVectin Advanced Retinol Nightly Renewal Moisturiser (£92).
4. Kiehl’s Retinol Skin Renewing Daily Micro Dose (£ 62).
5. Tata Harper Creme Riche (£183).
6. Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair (£60).
7. Decree Treat Tincture (£130).
8. Bioderma Pigmentbio Night Renewer (£20).
9. PSA Midnight Courage (£37).
10. NEOM Overnight Facial Cream (£ 42).